Thursday, December 1, 2011

Desiring God

northen 4       Desiring God is a book I recently finished and would strongly recommend to all readers. That does not mean the book is perfect, for it is not, I will point out what I disagree with in this book but nonetheless it is a very good book.

      Many people I know don't like to book but have never read the book. So we really don't know what the book talks about. Their two main reasons why people won't read this book the first reason is it was written by John Piper and many people don't like him. We are all entitled do you like and don't like but please don't let this keep you from reading this book. The second reason ,and probably more prominent, is that this book is “the meditations of a Christian hedonist” and this turns people off almost immediately.  There are a few reasons why I would suggest reading this book the first is that it is Biblical!!!! ( Definition: hedonist the pursuit or devotion for pleasure)

     The back of the book there are 12 pages of Bible references but John Piper makes reference to, and many of them are extensive passages dealing with multiple verses not just one or two taken out of context. But if you would please think with me and these few passages Ps 73:25,26  “Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.” We can see the desire is not a bad thing it can be a bad thing depending on what it is that I desire to be very, very good thing. Ps 1:2  “But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” One could make the argument but delighting in something is not the same as taking pleasure in it, I would disagree I think they are the same. But nonetheless Scripture answers that question as well Ps 16:11 “ Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” Ps 36:7,8  “How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.“ I Actually don't like blog posts that go on forever so try to make this as short as possible but I feel like I must give at least one more example from Ephesians 5:28 this is a great passage concerning marriage ending coming to a conclusion to this passage Paul writes “So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.” Here Paul clearly says but a certain kind of self love is a very good thing. No Christian would deny but you were to love your wife, and few Christians would deny that went to were married they become one, Bush you would ever realize that loving your wife his loving yourself for you are both one.

    the final reason why think people should read this book if you've ever been blessed by John Piper or his ministry you should read this book. The greed in which John Piper thinks is poured out in this book so needless to say it's not something that should be read quickly it's something that should be grappled with. I would consider it nothing less than a theological dissertation.

     But like I said neither the man nor the book is perfect. The biggest issue that I had with the book is concerning the second chapter and his view of the treasure in the field and Pearl of great Price. Probably the just of my disagreements boils down to the fact that following his interpretation man pursues God first, although John would never adhere to this, this is where his thinking leads to. This was so bad but I almost didn't finish the book. I do not wish to sugarcoat this to make it more than it is nor do I wish to downplay it in its flaws.

   My suggestion for reading this book his first read the preface, introduction, in Chapter 1. And then take two weeks off read the book of Philippians read some from the Psalms than come back. You could skip the second chapter entirely if you want to, it is not entirely a waste of time just mostly, so if you decide to read it really quickly then proceed to the third chapter the best lecture on worship I've ever read. And read chapter 4 as well. Which deals with love,  and took me the longest to agree with him about. Just to give you a flavor what is in this chapter think about in 1Co 13:3  “And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.” The question that I had before it ever picked up this book is why was Paul concerned about it being profitable for himself? Think on that for and while. This is what children can earn chapter 4. Then take another break of two weeks think about these things. When you come back proceed to read chapters 5 through 7 so the most hedonistic things that are said in this book was not written by John Piper and I've completely changed the way sit down and have my devotions for now I set down my devotions so that mean my God, the joyous relationship throughout the day. The chapter concerning prayer one of the best things I gleaned from this chapter and let us not be too busy for God that we were on the God of the glory that he deserves through answering our prayers. Simply put he is the Doctor we are the sick patient instead of us always trying to clean the doctor's office let him diagnose us. Take two weeks off and read the rest of the book at your leisure. I fear that this blog post is getting too long but in closing I would like to add the final paragraph in desiring God.

       “The chief end of man is to glorify God. And it is truer and suffering than anywhere else that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. My prayer, therefore, is that the Holy Spirit will pour out on His people around the world a passion for the supremacy of God in all things. And I pray that he would make it plain that the pursuit of joy in God, whatever the pain, is a powerful testimony to God's supreme in all satisfying worth. And so may it come to pass as we “fill up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions” (Col 1:24 ) that all the peoples of the world proceed alone of Christ and magnify his grace in the gladness of faith.”

2 comments:

  1. The book is very good - especially the chapter on worship! I'm re-motivated to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    Why do you think that his interpretation of Matthew 13 is wrong? Compare Matthew 13:44-46 to Matthew 19:16-30. The man in the parable sells everything to gain the treasure. Jesus' disciples leave everything to follow Christ.

    Moreover, Jesus says that the kingdom is like a treasure. He doesn't say that God is like a man who found and hid a treasure. The dispensational interpretation of the parable misreads the comparison given in the parable.

    The use of the word "treasure" is also important. The word shows up in two other passages in Matthew. Look at Matthew 6:19 and Matthew 19:21.

    ReplyDelete